In the woods of the Podyjí (Dyje Valley) National Park, southwest of Hradiště, a viewpoint situated high on a rock cliff above the Dyje River can be found.
In 1922 a wooden resting place was built with the joint efforts of Czech and German tourists.
Legend says that, at this point in late August 1683, John III Sobieski, King of Poland, watched his thirty thousand soldiers as they crossed the River Dyje while rushing to the aid of Vienna, which was under siege (for a second time) by the Turks.
In September when King Sobieski arrived in Vienna he was joined by the Christian army of 52 000 soldiers, which he led to battle.
Kara Mustapha, the supreme commander of the Turks, had made the tactical errors of not securing the hills around Vienna City and not fortifying his positions thus allowing King Sobieski an advantage, which after a only a few hours and with only half the number of troops, caused the devastating defeat of the massive, 150 000 strong, Turkish Army. After the battle, Kara Mustapha returned home to Turkey and was beheaded for his mistakes. This glorious victory was a turning point for Austria bringing much power and new lands.
Deep in the valley, before the Znojmo Water Reservoir was built (in the mid-1960s), there used to be a watermill (Trausnitz Mill) and an important bridge, which was built by Thomas Schlesin, the Provost of Hradiště in the mid 17th Century. The existence of this bridge, however, became a subject of a large dispute between Hradiště and the councilmen of Znojmo because many merchants travelling to and from Austria and Moravia were using this bridge instead of the toll bridge below Znojmo. In 1931 the Trausnitz Mill was transformed into a modern water power station with a 1 MW Kaplan turbine.
If water in the reservoir is low, the remains of the mill and the bridge can be seen quite clearly.
From Pension Grant LUX turn right and take Dyjska Street through the hairpin bends to the river.
Turn right along the cycle / foot path and follow until Louka Monastery.
Turn right onto Loucká St and follow to a T junction.
Turn right over the river bridge and bear left to Nový Šaldorf continue for 1km.
At the crossroads turn right onto the 413 road and continue to Havraniky.
Pass through Havraniky and after the village take the left turn to Šatov.
At Šatov turn left at the O2 telephone box and follow the road until it joins the main Šatov road.
Turn left and continue to the railway lines. Cross over the railway lines and continue along the road for 3km.
Turn left at the sign advertising Waldberg Wine and then take the next right and continue to the main road.
Turn right onto the main road and immediately left by the church.
Continue along the road to a T junction in Dyjakovičky, turn right and then left and left again onto cycle route 5007.
Continue straight at the crossroads. Continue 2,3km and turn left along cycle route 5007.
Continue for 700m and turn right. After 1.1km Lampelberg is on the right.
Return back to the 5007 cycle path and turn right.
Continue to Jaroslavice.
At Jaroslavice turn left towards Znojmo.
Continue passing through Slup, Strachotice, Derflice, Načeratice.
After Načeratice continue until a T junction with the main road.
Turn right and continue for 750m then turn left towards Nový Šaldorf.
Turn first right following the river to a T junction.
Turn right and continue for 600m until the road bears right.
Take the left turn and then right at a T junction.
Continue to another T junction and turn left follow the road to a footbridge crossing the river.
After the bridge turn right and return to Pension Grant LUX.
Points of Interest
Louka Monastery – founded by Conrad II Otto, Duke of Bohemia and his mother Mary in 1190
Nový Šaldorf wine streets – over 200 wine cellars dug out of the soft sand stone
Havraníky Church – St. Linhart
Šatov Military Bunker – museum
Chvalovice Dinosaur Park – tourist attraction
Dyákovičky Church – St Vitus Gothic Church
Lampelburg – From 1860 and located on the highest point of Ječmeniště vineyard the castle has excellent views.
Jaroslavice Chateau and Ponds – Magnificent Chateau in need of restoration and large shallow carp lakes
Slup Water Mill – Renaissance water mill museum
Turn right out of Pension Grant LUX and follow the road down through the hair pin bends and continue past the
motor museum and into Granice Forest Park.
Continue along the forest path until you join the Znojmo – Hradiště road and turn left up the bank to Hradiště.
Turn into Křižovnická Street and continue to the end for views of Znojmo by St. Antonin Paduan Church. Return back along Křižovnická Street and continue along Pivovarská Street to it’s end.
Continue until you join the cycle path (5000) Keep on the (5000) cycle path past Králův Stolec (King’s Throne)
Angel’s Mill (Andělský mlýn), Podmolí, Lukov.
At Lukov turn left and continue along the same cycle path until you join another cycle path (5002). Take this path to Nový Hrádek. Return back to the (5000) cycle path and turn right and continue past Šobes and over the suspension bridge.
Turn left still on the (5000) cycle path over Staré vinice to Popice.
At Popice take the (5001) cycle path to Sealsfied Stone and return along the green tourist path to Konice.
Turn left and rejoin the (5000) cycle path over Cow Mountain returning to Znojmo.
Points of Interest
Motor Museum (Muzeum Motorismu) – 100s of vehicles and exhibits.
Granice Forest Park – A deep canyon separating Znojmo from Hradište
Hradiště – St Anthony of Padua’s Church – Monastery – The original settling before Znojmo was established
King’s Throne (Králův Stolec) – Legend says that King John III Sobieski of Poland, watched his thirty thousand soldiers as they crossed the Dyje River to help protect Vienna against a Turkish siege in 1683.
Angel’s Mill (Andělský mlýn) this baroque building was founded in 1695, it is unfortunately in poor condition and is deteriorating.
Podmolí – is a picturesque village located on the border with Austria in the Podyjí National Park
Lukov – a gateway to the Podyjí National Park
Nový Hrádek – Ruins which are open to the public. National Cultural Heritage.
Podyjí National Park – Czech’s youngest National Park. A place a great natural beauty.
Šobes – is one of the oldest and most famous vineyards in the Czech Republic and lies in the Podyjí National Park.
Popice – is an unsung village of natural beauty on the edge of the Podyjí National Park.
Charles Sealsfield Stone – Charles Sealsfield (1793-1864), a world-famous writer, used to sit here for tranquil views of the river valley
Konice – An important wine village with an equally import Gothic Church St Jacob’s, which enhances the views from the local vineyards.
Vrbka’s Memorial Stone – Antonin Vrbka was a great teacher and Moravian patriot in Znojmo and his memorial was recently refurbished.
Cow Mountain – with amazing views of Znojmo
From Pension Grant LUX go through Znojmo City Park until the swimming baths car park.
Cross via pedestrian crossing and continue straight, behind the second car park and shops to a third car park.
Continue straight, exit the car park and turn right on to Přímětičká Street.
Follow this road over a roundabout through Přímětice, Hlubokové Mašůvky, Bojanovice to Jevišovice.
At Jevišovice take the turning out of the town to Černin, Vevčice, Rudlice, Plaveč, Únanov and back to Přímětice.
Take the same route back to Pension Grant LUX.
Points of Interest
* Cross Vaulted Wine Cellar (google translation of Czech Original) – The largest wine cellar of
this type in Europe.
It is run by Znovin Wine company who regularly hold
* Divis Prokop Memorial – Václav Prokop Diviš
inventor of the lightening rod died in Přímětice.
Here is a model his of the lightening rod with little
spikes on the top
Hluboké Mašůvky (google translation of Czech Original)
* Dating back to 1220 AD Hluboké Mašůvky is a popular
Jevišovice (google translation of Czech Original)
* The Old Chateau – Located on a rocky promontory
above the Jevišovka Valley dating back from 1468.
* New Castle – Located south-east of the city center
* St. Joseph’s Church – part of the Old Castle (1830)
* Dam on the river Jevišovka – One of the oldest
dams in Central Europe built between 1894-1897
Černín (google translation of Czech Original)
* St. Jacob the Great Church – Romanesque church
dating back to the beginning of the 12th Century.
Vevčice (google translation of Czech Original)
* Chapel of the Assumption
Rudlice (google translation of Czech Original)
* Memorial of the peasant uprising in 1821
Únanov (google translation of Czech Original)
* Water Park
* Late Gothic Church