Znojmo Town hall tower was commissioned by Znojmo City and was built by the stonemason Nicolas of Edelspitz (Sedlešovice) between 1445-1448. The complex yer elegant copper roof has two galleries and characteristic gothic spires.
Undoubtedly, the tower is one of the best examples of the Late Gothic craftsmanship in the whole of Europe.
Excellent views are seen from the galleries and it was surely used as a lookout tower to allow early warning of advancing enemies.
Nowadays the galleries are used also during the July Music Festival, where musicians can be seen and heard playing fanfare to the city below.
The tower is open to the general public throughout the season.
Another interesting fact, during an air raid by Soviet towards the end of World War II a bomb hit the tower but slithered down the roof and destroyed a council building below, the communists later built the controversial concrete block style Dyje Department Store in its place.
Znojmo Town hall Tower is located in the heart of the City Center on Obroková Street.